Trees

Trees

Friday, January 28, 2011

Growing in Grace


"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen."  (2 Peter 3:18, NASB95) 


Last night was my wedding anniversary.  As a surprise to my husband and family, set up had been made for us to see the kids and hear them talk to us.  I cannot tell you the joy that filled all our hearts as they appeared on the television screen.  They were jumping, screaming, laughing, and hitting each other.  We were all waving and saying “Hi!” “Hi! We love you.”  It was amazing.

Today as I was driving, thinking about seeing the kids last night, tears filled my eyes.  Thinking how wonderful it was, and how much I miss them.  Then it hit me.  I said, “Father, do You really delight in me more than that?  I can't imagine.  Are you so excited when I draw near to You?  Do you take great joy in everything I do?  Just in being with me, alone?  Do You not only love me, but You like me a lot?  You think I am great to be with?”

As we watched the kids playing and having fun, someone said, “They are looking at themselves.”  We all just died laughing.  They were making faces and running around and looking at the screen.  It didn't matter to us.  We just loved seeing them.

I think about the things I have done in the past.  Being married, raising my children, serving God, teaching, speaking, you know, all things you may have done.  I can look back and see impure motives.  I did a lot of looking at myself—it was more about me.  I lacked knowledge.  Heart knowledge.  It seems the closer I get to Christ the more I see my need for Him.  The more I grow in grace. 

We are all on a Spiritual Journey.  If we wait till we know it all, or until we have pure motives, we will do nothing.  We are proclaiming Christ and His faithfulness, not ours.  We are sharing the love of the Father and the work of the Spirit.  It is about God.  Not us.

God is never changing.  We are always changing, growing, and allowing Christ and the Spirit of the Father to live through us more and more.  God delights in us in the process.  So if you find yourself on top of a pedestal (I fell off mine!), or if you’ve been hiding under a rock somewhere, it’s time to do something.  Go proclaim the faithfulness of God and His unfailing love for you!  It never changes.


Jesus, I thank You that Your perfect life is mine.  I can rest in Your righteousness.  I give up the strife and defeat and pride over my own success and failures.  Keep me and grow me in Your great love, and grow me in grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment