Trees

Trees

Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolutions

“Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, ‘Do you see this woman?  I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head.  You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in.  You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil.  Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much.  But to whom little is forgiven the same loves little.’”  (Luke 7:44, NKJ) 


Resolutions

It happened a long time ago, but I remember it well.  We were playing a really big game.  We were the underdogs.  It was one of those football games that you couldn't take your eyes off, sit down, or breathe.  Then with emotions building in the last minutes, we won the game.  Without thinking, I took off down the stairs, jumped the fence, and ran to congratulate the team and coaches. Suddenly a policeman stepped out of nowhere.  He said something like, “Now where do you think you’re going, young lady?  Go back out of here the way you came.”  I said something like, “I can't jump that fence!”

This reminds me a little of my experience with New Year resolutions.  I start out determined, motivated, and resolved.  Then after awhile when that wears off, there I am again.  Doing the very thing I hate, and hating the thing I do.  So I commit myself again and again.  Try harder. Suck it up.  Pull up my bootstraps.  Fail.  Over and over till I give up and feel guilty.

When I began getting sick, before we knew I had a mental disorder, I thought everyone could read my mind.  Can you imagine the things you might think or try not to think?  I wanted to hide.  I could not rationalize that my innermost thoughts were not visible to others.  I could not stop thinking that way.  It’s probably not as drastic as that for you, but I think we all have that nagging thing or that big thing which we would like to change.

Paul also had this problem, it seems to me.  He asked the Lord to remove a thorn in his flesh three times.    The Lord, instead, told Paul that His grace was sufficient for him.    But Paul’s ever present “thorn” did not mean that God was not doing a mighty work in him and through him. God’s concern was for the bigger picture.  His ways are not our ways.   God had given Paul a message.  It would have been very easy for Paul to have struggled with pride.  So God saw fit to humble him.  Paul, who seems to have been the most disciplined among his peers, could not get his life together, either. 

For those of us who have trusted our hearts and lives to Jesus Christ, He now lives in us.  If you have not done this, I invite you to do that right now.  Although believers still sin, when God looks at us, He sees us perfect.  We have the Spirit of God living in and through us.  We are one with Him.  We have opportunity to live in freedom because of the gospel.  Christ’s death and burial and resurrection paid for our sins.  We are forgiven.  Christ's righteousness becomes ours.  Some believe that means you can do whatever you want.  The question then is:  What do you want to do, now?

Jesus tells His own:  I already know all there is to know about you, and yet I have chosen you.  I won't judge you or condemn you.  You are mine.  I will not forsake you.  Nothing can separate us.  I am the best friend you will ever have.  You can rest in me and in my Father’s love.  I will carry you and your heavy load. 

Imagine Jesus saying:  “Let’s sit in the sunshine by the seashore and talk a while.  You can tell me about your innermost thoughts, your feelings, your fears, your doubts, your struggles and your joys.  I have experienced it all.   We could go fishing or take a ride in the boat.  Later on we might just be silent.  Take a walk together as the sun starts to go down.  Let’s just enjoy being together.”

Prayer: 

May we live in the freedom, forgiveness and closeness with you that you have already bought for us.  Lord, we are forgiven much.  We love much.  I pray that we live, rest, think, feel, and believe that the righteousness of Christ is ours, and His immeasurable love is for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment