Trees

Trees

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Different Kind of Christmas

“As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.  If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love...These things I command you, that you love one another.”   (John 15:9-10, 17, NKJ) 

Every Christmas we have been together with our children.  This year after Thanksgiving, I began to hear the plans of my family, one by one.  This Christmas will take most of them in other directions besides to our home.  I knew all their plans were for the best this year, but I was waiting to fall apart and go through a major down spiral.  You know, the poor-me that I can slide into.  We are going to be with one daughter and our grandson, and that is so wonderful for us.  But with the rest of the family away and my husband planning to be out of town some, I pretty much saw myself going through the holidays alone.

I started thinking what that might look like.  Haven’t felt like reading—no concentration.  Haven’t been able to write—computer problems.  I haven’t bought presents.  The kids already have things in mind.  Haven’t put up a tree.  Don’t plan on cooking.  My grandson is going to grill for us.  Since my husband has been out of town, I decided to do some things that would make this year special, different, or unique.  So far, I have been with great friends and family, and have so enjoyed them, but I’ve been alone a lot too.  I hope to be with some women who might not have family with them on Christmas.   I prayed, “Lord, tradition is great, but Christmas really is about you.  I want to enter into rest in your presence.  In your love.”

Jesus tells us to abide in His love.  That is to dwell, live, breathe, move, be nourished.  To me it is like a little baby inside its mother’s womb.  She provides the baby’s every need.  The two are as close as they can possibly be.  The baby is inside the mother.  She surrounds herself around the child.   We are to be inside Jesus’ love.  He loves us as the Father loves Him.  How utterly amazing!

I have turned the lights down low.  Lit the candles throughout the room.  Placed the nativity figures just as I imagine they were on that glorious night.  Have a warm fire, and music softly playing to quiet my heart.  His presence is amazing.  I picture my Father letting me rest on His shoulder.  My Savior, as I kneel in front of Him and wash His feet with my tears, like a brother, reaches for me.   He whispers of His love for me in that still small voice.  In His presence I experience being loved, healed, strengthened, cleansed, renewed and reassured.  There I am whole.

There is no happier place to be than trusting in the one who is supreme and who controls everything.  To know your life is in His hands.  That He gives you rest in His gentle, meek, humble heart.  That He lives in you and His love is in you.  That you are in His love and nothing can separate you, ever.

After we first come into God’s love, may we then go and give that love to others.  Let’s give it to a love-hungry world whether inside your home, or beyond.  When we are in the presence of God we are so full of joy and love it has to go somewhere. 

May you have an abundant love and joy in this Different Kind of Christmas. 


No comments:

Post a Comment