Trees

Trees

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thankful Heart

"Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.  O righteous Father!  The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me.  And I have declared to them Your name and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them."  John 17:24-26

Melancholic and analytical by nature, I can become obsessed with the reasoning of theology, the Bible, or even in regard to circumstances.  I am diagnosed as: skitzo-effective with severe depression.  Doesn't sound very cheerful, does it?  What it means is that I have to be sensitive to my moods.  If I am feeling down, not feeling thankful, or have become obsessed for any length of time with something, I have to take action, or it can mean a downward spiral in my mental health.  Those who are close to me are aware of this.  They help me keep a close watch.

This morning, I was thinking how in this holiday season some people will find themselves in harder situations than they have ever known before.  Situations which may involve the health and welfare of a loved one, mental or physical illness, troubled relationships, the economy, the loss of someone dear, or even having to face death, oneself.  Others may have memories that have been dormant in their minds till the holidays, but now, memories of an abusive parent, a very hard childhood, the loss of a sibling or a child or a parent or a mate, surface to trouble them.  The list of possibilities goes on and on.  Even those who seem to glide through life untouched by suffering, who really knows what they may be going through?

Suffering should not take us by surprise. Paul said that those who would live godly lives through Christ Jesus would suffer.  

(See 2 Timothy 3:12)  Christ promised that things would not be easy for His followers.  (See John 16:33) But it is through our suffering that God’s glory is revealed.  Paul saw his suffering as an opportunity to spread the gospel, but it was no less suffering.  In times of difficulty or suffering, we also see God’s faithfulness.  And in those times, who or what we are trusting in may be revealed—the condition of the heart.  Steve Brown, in his "Holiday Magazine" says, "Those aren't even the issues, though.  The issue is God.  Run to him.  Thanksgiving will be natural."


One night when only my dad and I were home, his sitter had just left and I thought he was settled in for the night, I sat down to read a book.  I heard my name: "Deborah!"  I ran to my dad’s side and asked, "What, Dad?  Are you ok?"  He said, "Yes, I just want to talk."  I sat down in the rocker nearby and listened carefully.  "What is it, Dad?" 

My dad began to ask me about the family.  "How are the kids?  They are ok, aren't they?  How is Tammy?"  (Tammy is my sister.)  I said, "We are all fine dad."  We named everyone and talked about how each one was doing.  I wanted to reassure him.   Then my dad said, "I won't bother you anymore."  I said, "Dad you don't understand.  I came here to be with you.  I love you.  You are my dad.  You are a good dad and a good grandpa."

 My dad then asked:  "You want to lie down over there?"  He pointed to the twin bed next to his hospital bed.  I climbed in.  He said, "Now isn't that more comfortable?"  I said, "Yeah, Dad, it is great."

As I lay there looking at him through the dim light shining from the next room, he remained silent, touching the rails that keep him safely confined.  As he tried to move his weak legs, he placed his hands on his chest.  I began to pray, "Lord help me know what to say." 

"Dad, do you know what Jesus says?"  "What?" he asked.  "Jesus says he will never leave us."  Tears of thankfulness rolled down my cheeks. 

"Yeah, he will never leave us," my dad repeated.

"Jesus says that nothing can separate us from his love," I added. 

 My dad said again, "He will never leave us."  Then we prayed, thanking Jesus.

 So this holiday—listen.  God is calling your name.  Do you hear it?  Run to Him.  He just wants to talk to you, and for you to lie down and rest beside him.  You’ll find Him, and He will give you a thankful heart—the only kind He can give.

Prayer: 

God—Father, Son, and Spirit—I thank you that we can come to you no matter what the condition of our heart, or whatever our circumstances.  We don't have to try to fix ourselves in order to come to you.  We can’t.  But Christ has already made the way for us.  We are perfect in your sight.  Thank you that you are zealous for us.  You are relentless in bringing us into your presence.  Fix our longing hearts on you.  May our hearts be one as you are One.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Deborah for writing this. So encouraging and helpful. My self sufficiency dies hard and it is SO sweet to see how Jesus is meeting you in your weakness. HIS power is so evident in your life.

    ReplyDelete